2331 Software Engineer
Director, Wireless Engineering
US-NY-Hauppauge | US-MD-Laurel | US-MD-Frederick
The company is a leading connectivity provider of video, voice, and data to the most remote locations on Earth — and under the most treacherous conditions. The company’s comprehensive Satellite, Fiber, Cellular, and CDN infrastructure and services provide robust connectivity over Land, Sea and Air with zero downtime for mission-critical RF and IP communications serving Government, Maritime, Media, Energy, Enterprise, Wireless, and IoT customers in over 100 countries. Along with world-class network system design and integration capabilities, specializes in end-to-end hosted and managed services; broadcast and media infrastructure, virtualization, OTT and IPTV solutions; cloud-based services for private network interactive training, distance learning and corporate communications; and Satellite, Wireless, Internet of Things/M2M solutions and services.
The Director, Wireless Engineering will support the companies Commercial and Government businesses. This role bridges the gap between engineering elements and end users to ensure the solutions developed will support operations appropriately. The primary focus will be in support of telecom/wireless technology requirements for the company. The Director, Wireless Engineering will work closely with customers, provide feedback to design engineers and evaluate systems and products through their entire lifecycle. The Director, Wireless Engineering will conduct research, test new products, and evaluate performance. The ideal candidate must display a deep understanding of current and near-term future planned mobile technologies. The candidate is expected to be the subject matter expert in wireless telecommunications and possess a thorough understanding of the business and operations of Managed Network Operators (MNO’s) and other wireless service providers.
- Identify users’ needs and requirements and mobilize existing technology to meet the need.
- Identify relevant emerging technologies and future trends in order to be at the forefront of mobile technology.
- Perform network engineering definition, design, implementation, integration, testing, and support of GSM, CDMA, UMTS and LTE wireless networks.
- Lead testing and operational readiness exercises.
- Provide technical advice on telecommunications systems and associated operational support systems required to efficiently operate the companies wireless network.
- Oversee the change management of the wireless network infrastructure to ensure the risk and operational impact of platform changes are well understood and communicated.
- Ensure wireless architecture and associated platforms comply with appropriate company IT security policies as directed by the Office of Information Security.
- Interface with the company’s Tier 2 and 3 network operations/technical support staff.
Lead requirements development, documentation, and traceability, including:
- Management of the Systems Requirement document.
- Management and traceability of segment-level requirements.
- Development of the end-to-end system Concept of Operations.
- Development and documentation of the Detailed System Design.
- Development and management of system-wide Interface Control Documents (ICDs).
- Awareness of testing and quality requirements throughout the project’s lifecycle.
- Maintain the system configuration baseline and oversee the configuration management (CM) process.
- Identify and track system-level technical risks.
- Assist with sales and proposals as needed.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related discipline; or 12 years related experience in the wireless telecommunications industry.
- Active Top-Secret clearance
- 5 years of experience in CDMA, GSM, LTE and UMTS core and transmission systems.
- Experience in system engineering disciplines including requirements management, configuration management, risk management and modeling techniques for complex wireless telecommunication networks.
- Working knowledge of telecommunications network architectures and topologies, to include the terminal nodes and the transmission links that connect them; and, the methods by which signaling is passed between/across them (circuit switching, message switching, packet switching, etc.).
- Working knowledge of wireless technologies such as 2G (TDMA, GSM, CDMA); 2.5G (GPRS, EDGE, CDMA-2000, 1XRTT), 3G (UMTS, HSPA, WCDMA, 1xEVDO), 4G (LTE, WiMAX), and emerging technologies (5G, VoLTE, LTE-Advanced) and beyond.
- Working knowledge of all major wireless network elements (HLR/HSS, MSC, VLR, SMSC, GSN, STP, etc.).
- Working knowledge of telecommunications transport systems, including optical networks, copper and coaxial wireline facilities, terrestrial radio link facilities, satellite systems, IP data systems, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of SS7 MAP/messaging including SIGTRAN.
- Understanding of commercial wireless networks including roaming partnerships, financial clearing, and SS7 aggregation.
- An understanding of how prepaid and postpaid billing works in commercial wireless systems, and the supporting features (e.g., CAMEL) in the mobility core and intelligent network elements.
- Established experience in deployment of cellular (802.11/GSM/UMTS/LTE/TD-SCDMA) systems.
- In-depth understanding of device and network authentication methods.
- Experience with data services--knowledge of protocols such as TCP/UDP/IP.
- Skills with measurement and optimization tools such as Ethereal, WireShark, iPerf.
- Strong written, verbal communications and presentation skills required.
- Team player with strong customer service orientation.
- Expected to travel 10-25%.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- Experience with Ericsson, ZTE and Star Solutions core network equipment.
- Experience with the migration of live telecommunications networks from one platform to another.
- Basic understanding of Voice over WiFi (VoWiFi) and Voice over LTE (VoLTE).
- Knowledge of IP/VoIP cellular gateways.
- Knowledge of Satellite IP and data gateways.
- Knowledge of Asterisk PBX.
- Familiar with Windows, Linux, NetBSD and Unix operating systems.
- Knowledge of network monitoring systems (e.g., SolarWinds) and trouble ticketing systems (e.g., REMEDY, ServiceNow) is desirable.